ARMA 3 Optimization

A place for all registered 6th members to kick back and relax.

Moderators: Section Command, Plt Command, REME, High Command

Z. Spencer

Ribbons

Medals

ARMA 3 Optimization

Post by Z. Spencer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:40 am

Hey!
Recently I have tinkered with optimizing my pc for Arma3 performance. I have some interesting results that some of you might find useful if you want to increase your FPS in Arma3 for free (no hardware upgrades required).

I did some overclocks and optimizations in order to squeeze out the last performance out of this game.

The rig that I tested on:
- Mobo: MSI Z170A Tomahawk
- CPU: Intel i7 6700K (4GHz stock)
- GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz CL15

Testing methodology: All the benchmarks were done using the "Yet another Arma benchmark v1.00" that you can find on the workshop, with no changes made to the video settings. I tested with and without the XMP profile on the Memory, with a slight overclock on the CPU and with an overclock on the GPU. Finally I followed a guide to improve the performance of arma with some software changes.
To overclock the CPU I used the Boost Mode in the MSI BIOS that brings the CPU up to 4.4GHz (I tried manually adjusting the CPU clock and voltage but it wasn't stable)
To overclock the GPU I used GPU Tweak II using the predefined OC mode.
For software optimization I followed this guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1731305438

RESULTS:

- CPU 4GHz : Mem 2133MHz : 37.9 FPS
- CPU 4GHz : Mem 3000MHz : 42.9 FPS
- CPU 4GHz : Mem 3000MHz : GPU OC profile : 43.2 FPS
- CPU 4.4GHz : Mem 3000MHz : 45.2 FPS
- CPU 4.4GHz : Mem 3000MHz : GPU OC profile : 46.1 FPS
- CPU 4.4GHz : Mem 3000MHz : GPU OC profile : + software optimization : 48.4 FPS

CONCLUSION:

As you can see in the results, Arma is a very CPU bound game since overclocking the GPU did basically nothing (0.3 FPS improvement).
The most gains were made when activating the XMP profile for the RAM modules (5 FPS improvement)
Overclocking the CPU is a good option if you have an unlocked CPU and motherboard and the adequate cooling solution (I recommend an AIO water cooler) (about 3 FPS improvement with a 400MHz overclock)
I also recommend following the optimization guide since that will give you free fps.

To sum it all up, doing all the overclocking and optimization I managed to squeeze an additional free 10 FPS.
I think that is a decent amount since there were no costs and just 30 mins of configuration needed.
PS: I run the game from HDD. Upgrading to an SSD storage might improve performance but I will have to test that when my M.2 NVME SSD arrives.

I hope you found this useful.
If you guys have other advice on optimizing Arma for FPS, leave it in the comments below.

O. McCarthy
Recruit

Re: ARMA 3 Optimization

Post by O. McCarthy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:35 pm

Good testing methodology mate, just to note that cpu frequency is the most important for arma 3 so i always overclock if you can you can also single overclock two cores(arma only uses 2) to higher than 4.4 GHz and you may see a larger improvement but yea well done and thought out! :D

Z. Spencer

Ribbons

Medals

Post by Z. Spencer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:11 pm

Indeed, with more tweaking I might be able to overclock the CPU to 4.6 maybe. The trouble is that the 6700K is a 4 year old die and overclocking requires more voltage than a brand new die (because of the silicon degradation) and I kinda don't want to risk frying it. When it was brand new I was able to keep a stable overclock and bench it at 4.8GHz using a single DIMM RAM of 8GB 2133MHz. Using 2 DIMM RAM at 3000MHz makes the system unstable at high frequencies.

PS: Is it possible to overclock only 2 of the 4 cores? I didn't knew that was a possibility.

O. McCarthy
Recruit

Post by O. McCarthy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:28 pm

it is now with newer dies