Pc upgrade

A place for all registered 6th members to kick back and relax.

Moderators: Section Command, Plt Command, REME, High Command

R. Carter
Pilot Officer

Ribbons

Medals

Pc upgrade

Post by R. Carter » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:34 pm

I'm looking to get a new pc but contemplating what to put in it looking to have it future proof with in reason need to run games very while also being able to record and stream looking to spend upto £2500

Any ideas will be appreciated 👍

O. McCarthy
Recruit

Re: Pc upgrade

Post by O. McCarthy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:30 pm

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hmqNPV

prob this but you will have issues getting 3080, id wait for AMD launches and build something with them. And yea a 4k panel because this PC would do it easilly

Z. Spencer

Ribbons

Medals

Re: Pc upgrade

Post by Z. Spencer » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:52 am

Right now is a bad time to build a new pc mainly because Nvidia and AMD launched some great products that are currently unavailable. If you really want, you'll be able to build it, but at a much higher price because of scalpers that steal all the stock and resell at double the price.

If I were you I would wait until January-February for new stock to be available.

Also, if you want ArmA3 performance look into the new 5000 series CPU's that AMD launched. I would go for the Ryzen 5 5600x, since the 7 and 9 don't give you that much boost in performance but they cost significantly higher. If you want top tier thought, I would go for the Ryzen 9 5950x. It costs plenty of bucks but for sure is the best CPU right now. And we all know ArmA3 is a CPU intensive game, so you need that single core performance.

In terms of GPU, I would wait to see the AMD launch, they have come up with some great GPU's this year that trade blows with the Nvidia counterparts at a much more reasonable price and using less power. Plus, If you pair an AMD CPU with an AMD GPU you will get roughly 10% boost in performance for free because of the architecture.

To sum it all up if you have a 2500 pound budget I would get:
- Motherboard: Any B550 or X570 model (don't go B450 or lower)
- CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X or Ryzen 9 5950X (if you want to go overkill)
- GPU: Radeon RX 6900XT or Nvidia RTX 3080ti (will come on January most likely) but I would wait for 3rd party reviews on those two.
- Memory: 3600MHz low latency is good bang for the buck (if you go for AMD CPU choose a 4 stick kit, trust me), 8GB x 4 should be enough.
- Power Supply: A 750W bronze 80+ should do the trick.

PS: I would really go all AMD on this year's build since they have the best products. Nvidia GPU's only shine in raytracing performance, but I assume you don't need that.
PPS: for the panel I would go for a 2K high refresh rate panel (120Hz or above).
PPPS: If you want to stream then for sure AMD CPU because of the multi core performance.